MATT GILLETT has raised the possibility that the Australian team will resurrect the Indigenous war cry before their match with England on Friday.
“I’m sure we’ll have a chat about it and some of the stuff that’s been talked about has been pretty good,” said the Brisbane forward. “Hopefully that works out and we get to do something.”
It is thought that the television broadcasters have given the war cry the green light and the decision now rests with the players themselves. The Kangaroos have not performed the war cry in 50 years, having abandoned it at the end of the 1967-68 season.
The Indigenous war cry has been seen before All Star matches in recent years, but coach Mal Meninga told media last year that any new iteration should include all of Australia’s nationalities.
“Hopefully today we have a good chat about it and see where it’s at,” said the Kangaroos coach. “Indigenous people are part of Australia (but) I think it’s got to be more all-encompassing around multicultural values. If we can do something like that and we do it well — that’s the more important part — I think it’ll be a great spectacle.”
There is scope for Johnathan Thurston, who will miss the World Cup due to injury, to be involved in the war cry if not on the field. The players will decide this week and Thurston, who is still involved in the Kangaroos setup, is believed to be in line to participate should it go ahead.